Saturday, December 8, 2012

Cost of Cute

As most plus-size girls know, cute ain't cheap.

Because we are such a niche market the prices for decent clothing skyrocket. Lane Bryant is a go-to for many girls, but their prices are far too high to regularly buy clothes. I personally prefer Dress Barn because their tops tend to fit me better and have a nicer flow to them and their dresses are totally gorgeous, but Dress Barn is even more pricey. 

My solution tends to be to invest in really nice pieces that I can somewhat seamlessly use from season to season, like a colorful dress or a ruffled blouse that fits just right, and add cheaper accessories. 

For example, today I'm wearing a sleeveless dress from Dress Barn with a stretch nylon shell and a sheer outer layer, purchased during the summer. The dress has a white background with what look like paintbrush strokes of various green, purple, and blue hues. The dress came with a matching ribbon around the waist to be tied in a bow at the hip, but I ditched the sash for today.

Instead, I added a purple button-up cardigan I bought at Walmart, of all places, in high school for around $15, a pair of forest green tights from Target two Christmases ago (spellcheck says that's the right plural of Christmas... I don't believe you, spellcheck, but I guess I have no choice for now), my usual leather band bracelet and blue watch, and a black hair bow from Claire's and black ballet flats from Lane Bryant (about $30, but I've worn them a ton, so I can justify it). Top it off with my current turquoise metal frames and it's a fairly cute outfit for early winter based around one summer dress. (I would have added my brown knee-boots but, due to a recent patch of cellulitis and related swelling in my left leg, I can't fit them on just yet.)

My sister is in town from Louisiana, and she's bugging me to "get off the laptop and come bake banana bread", so I'll add more on to this topic in a later post.

Banana bread calls.

No comments:

Post a Comment