Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Saga of the Wisdom Tooth

Things I am not fond of, in no particular order:
 Fish
 Heights
 Darkness
 Country Music
 Pain
 Hurty Things
 Things That Make Me Say 'Ouch'

 I hate, hate, hate pain. That being said, I hate pretty much anything and everything medical, dental, gynecological, etc. So, about a month ago when the oral surgeon informed me that the ache in the back of my mouth meant my one and only (Yeah. One. Suck it, normal mouths.) wisdom tooth was ready to pack its things and catch the bus to Medical Waste Land, I was... less than excited. My appointment was for last Friday, and I went in and they tried really hard to get an IV going for total anesthesia and couldn't because I was dehydrated. They sent me on my merry way, four arm holes later, and told me to drink water all weekend and come back Monday. They had me go to the hospital first to get the IV in then go back to them. They gave me 10 mg of Valium and I still freaked out. When I got to the office, they noticed I was rather unhappy with the whole situation, so they gave me laughing gas. They started to put the mask over my face and I proceeded to go totally ape shit.
Apparently, rubber masks are not my friend. However, the next thing I know, I'm being tapped on the shoulder by a nurse and my mouth is all gauzey. I'm feeling good...

No comments:

Post a Comment